Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
By Mildred Taylor
In order to fully appreciate this story, you will need to have a basic understanding of the social climate in which the story takes place. Use the links provided to research the following terms relevant to the historical background of Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.
A. The Great Depression:
1. What were some of the causes of the Great Depression?
2. What were some of the effects of the Great Depression?
3. Why did the plan of sharecropping seem to be a good idea for both the landowners and the sharecroppers?
4. Why was it really disastrous for the sharecroppers?
C. Jim Crow Laws:
5. What is the origin of the term “Jim Crow”?
6. What was the purpose of Jim Crow laws?
7. Give three examples of Jim Crow laws.
8. In what year did the Jim Crow laws finally end?